Saturday, February 23, 2008

Well, I decided to sign up to volunteer for a UNICEF project. It's called the Tap project. On world water day (march 16th) restaurants who choose to participate will charge a dollar for tap water that we normally enjoy for free. The proceeds then go toward efforts to provide clean water access and sanitation to children around the world who need it. My job is to get the restaurants to participate. I've searched volunteer lists in the Pittsburgh area and have yet to find any others involved in this project. However, I found mojito and rum drinkers clubs, clubs for people who dress there tiny dogs and many more REALLY IMPORTANT organizations like this. I know that there are many good volunteer organizations in the area but I just find it a little odd that I haven't found anyone else (other than beth) involved in this particular project. okay, I'm done ranting. I don't feel bitter about many things. I may be hypocritical in saying this but, people who think the world stops at the end of rt 19 really bother me. You know, the ones who don't teach their children how to treat others that advertise the thirty-seven sports their kids play on the rear window. The people who join the PTO for no other reason than to gossip. They go to church every Sunday, yet they still think it is their job to judge others. I'm sorry, I know I'm generalizing but it seems like lately I've been encountering a lot of this. Meeting these types of people, and then reading that there are still parts of the world struggling for something so simple as clean water just brings out the bitterness in me.

1 comment:

Shari said...

Hey, I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but I might be able to do a story on you guys if I can get the Post Gazette interested. It's too late for this year, but we can talk about your experience and how sad it is that not more restaurants were participating this year. If you're interested, call or email me and I'll see if I can talk my editor into it! :)